If you have a valid UK passport you can renew your driving licence online.
To renew your driving licence online you will need to be a resident of Great Britain as the service varies in Northern Ireland. You’ll also be unable to renew your driving licence online if you are disqualified from driving.
Before you start the online form you should have the following to hand:
- Addresses lived at for the last 3 years
- Your current driving licence
- Your national insurance number
- A method of payment where applicable (i.e. credit or debit card)
If you do not have a valid passport then you can renew your driving licence at a post office, be sure to take with you:
- Your photocard licence, if available
- Payment information
- Reminder letter – If you do not have your reminder letter you will be unable to renew without your photocard licence.
You can also renew by post, collecting a D1 pack from the post office. Once you have completed the form you will need to include a recent passport photo, your current photocard licence and a check or postal order for any applicable fees. If you are changing your name you will also need to remember to include identity documents to support this.